Surfing the Worry Imp's Wave
- What prompted you to write this book?
- I talk a lot in my classes about basic fears of rejection, isolation, failure, loss of control and the unknown triggering the fight or flight response. What types of things do children often worry about?
- Why do children worry about things that adults don't worry about?
- Why do some things (like a fight with your best friend) feel so unbearable….and why can't youth understand that, in the big scheme of things, this is not that big of a deal?
- Mistakes and bad things happen. How does the concept of fault vs. responsibility impact a child's anxiety, for example, when parents divorce?
- What are signs of anxiety and worry in children, and how do they differ by age 2-5, 6-10, 11-16?
- After a traumatic event such as an earthquake or school shooting, what types of stress and anxiety reactions might we see?
- Aside from reading this book with children and going through the discussion and activity guide, what can parents do to help children prevent anxiety?
- I noticed on your website that you blog quite extensively on issues related to anxiety, attachment, discipline, self-regulation and resilience. How are all of these things related?
- Where is the best place to get this book and the activity guide? (Your website, kickstarter, Amazon??)
Learn more at https://www.sharonselby.com/